Shape the Future of Behavioral Health in California - Apply Now!
Are you a young person between the ages of 14 and 25 years old? Do you want to make a meaningful impact on the mental health and emotional well-being of children, youth, and families in California?
We invite you to apply for membership with the Youth Co-Lab!
The Youth Co-Lab, a groundbreaking internal advisory group for the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Office of Health Equity (OHE), is seeking passionate and diverse youth from across the state to join their ranks. As a member, you will have a unique opportunity to help reimagine mental health services, reduce stigma, and increase support for Mental, Emotional, and Behavioral (MEB) health and substance use disorder. Your voice matters! Contribute to the design, implementation, and evaluation of public education and change campaigns, ensuring they are culturally relevant and age-appropriate for youth like yourself.
We are looking to select 12 youth members and two youth leaders to be part of this exciting opportunity. Youth members should be between 14 and 25 years old and able to commit eight hours per month to committee activities. If you are a leader between the ages of 21 and 25, you could be one of our Youth Coordinators. Our youth leaders will dedicate 12 hours per month to support Youth Co-Lab activities.
It's time to take action. Speak for your generation, join forces with like-minded youth, and shape the future of behavioral health in California. Apply for membership with the Youth Co-Lab today and be the catalyst for lasting and fundamental change. Together, we will ensure a brighter future for children, youth, and families.
- Age 14 to 25 years old.
- Live in the state of California.
- Have lived experience with mental, emotional, and/or behavioral health
challenges as a consumer, caregiver, or support person.
- Be able to obtain a work permit (under 18 years old) or pass a background check (over 18 years old).
- Embody the collective mission and vision of the CDPH-OHE and CYBHI programs.
Please review the program statement
- Our campaign priority populations:
- - African American and Black
- - Asian and Pacific Islander
- - Native American
- - Latinos
- - LGBTQ+
- - Foster care and justice impacted youth
- - Persons with disabilities
- - Those who live in rural area
- Able to serve a three-year membership term.
- Willing to dedicate 8-12 hours of work each month.
- Attend regular meetings (virtual with potential for in-person) with CDPH, media vendors, and community-based organizations.
- Review and provide insight on media campaign strategy, messaging, and content.
- Participate in discussions on topics such as personal identity and mental, emotional, behavioral health in relation to media content.
- Interact with assigned mentor for regular support and guidance.
- Compensation provided for time and service.
- ** Compensation Rates: Youth Leader Compensation Rate: $30 per hour, Youth Member Compensation Rate: $25 per hour
- Build community and network with peers.
- Gain professional experience for your resume.
- Develop and expand professional skills (e.g., leadership, public speaking).
- Receive valuable mentorship and guidance from CDPH-OHE staff.
- Eligibility for school credit and community service hours.
- Get incentives for participation in meetings.
- Be a changemaker for children, youth, and their families across California communities.
- Impact the narrative on mental, emotional, and behavioral health and substance use disorder.
For any inquiries, please contact us by clicking on the Email Us link below: